Ingredients (about 30 meringues)
- 9 pistils (27 saffron stigmas)
- 3 egg whites
- 160 g of sugar
- 1 ml of cream of tartar
- 24 hours in advance.
- Grind your saffron with a little sugar, in a mortar.
- Add to your egg whites to infuse in the refrigerator.
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 100ºC (200ºF)
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl, off the heat, beat the sugar, cream of tartar and egg whites with a whisk.
- Place over simmering water and whisk continuously until sugar is melted. Do not touch the water to avoid overcooking the egg whites. Remove from heat when sugar is completely melted.
- Using an electric mixer, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a pastry bag or with a spoon, place whipped portions of egg whites directly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 2 hours until they no longer stick to the parchment paper. Do not overcook, as they will split (not as pretty).
- Close the oven. Let stand for at least two hours. Meringues should be crisp before eating.