Ingredients (about 32 portions)
- 16 pistils (48 stigmas) of saffron
- 30 g of butter
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 250 ml white wine
- 210 g arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1 liter of chicken or vegetable stock
- 80 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese or more, to taste
- Saffron salt, ground pepper to taste
- Mini bocconcini or piece of mozzarella
- 3 eggs
- Flour for coating
- Breadcrumbs for coating
- 24 hours in advance.
- Grind your saffron with a little salt, in a mortar.
- Infuse in a little warm broth and let rest in the fridge covered overnight.
Prepare the rice
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and oil over medium heat. Sweat the garlic and onion without browning.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until it is well coated.
- Add white wine and allow to evaporate until almost dry.
- Add about 200 ml of broth at a time until it is absorbed. Stir regularly.
- Add saffron infusion with the last portion of broth.
- Complete with the Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat and place on a baking sheet.
- Let cool completely before making the meatballs.
- Adjust with saffron salt and ground pepper to taste.
Prepare the rice balls
- Wet your hands.
- Make small rice balls.
- Roll in alternating order, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs.
- Insert cheese in the center.
- Heat oven to 190ºC (375ºF)
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with or without tomato sauce.
- Can be frozen before baking. Remove directly from the freezer for baking.